There is nothing which is not FREAKING AMAZING about Debbie Goard from Debbie Does Cakes. (That is NOT a Subway sandwich. That’s a CAKE! I die. That lettuce! The pictures below are also her cakes.)
I’ve had a (professional,totally appropriate) crush on her for a very, very long time. Her work just BLOWS ME AWAY. One of the most original, dedicated,”I do my own thing and ONLY my own thing,” cake decorators in the world. As it happens, she’s also one of the savviest business women I know. I adored doing this interview. SHE IS AWESOME on so many levels.
Her website says this: “Debbie Does Cakes is a custom sculpted cake studio.We only offer sculpted cakes.A sculpted cake is a cake covered by hand to resemble anything other than cake. We do not offer traditional cakes of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, tiered cakes, round cakes, sheet cakes, cupcakes, cake pops etc….By focusing exclusively on what we do best we can make you something truly custom, this is what makes us different.”
In this interview, Debbie and I get very real about a whole lot of things:
- How to never, EVER abandon your niche
- How she’s run her business, on her own, in a cake studio, full time. NO help.
- On chasing fame (and why she does not bother to do it!)
- How authoring a book did NOT change her life
- Why she does not teach classes
- How we feel about new tools in the industry
- The cakes she hates making
- And lots more. SO. MUCH. BRILLIANT!
Enjoy watching our interview – and please, go and look at her website – your eyes will drop out of your head (and then she will make them out of cake!)
Here’s a link to Debbie’s book: Twisted Cakes: Deliciously Evil Designs for Every Occasion