Have you been considering giving up your business lately? ‘Should I quit my business?’ is a question that tends to come up for many of us small business owners when the going gets tough. In today’s episode, I’ll be taking a look at why we sometimes think about quitting, and whether or not it really is the right time to do it. This is something that I’ve talked about a lot on my blog, but never before on the podcast. I realize that this question might be a little hard for some of you to hear, and I don’t mean to depress anyone, but running a business really isn’t easy and I think that this is one of the things we need to think about, and to talk about openly, more often. Listen in today, to find out more.
Last year I did a podcast episode about a blog post that I wrote a while back, about a typical small cookie company. That was one of the most popular episodes of all of last season. So I’ve chosen one of the blog posts that I wrote some time ago, about quitting your business, and I’m going to read it to you today. I will be adding in the things that have changed for me, and the things that I feel differently about now, so tune in, to hear what I wrote about whether or not it really is the time to quit your business.
- I sometimes used to have a little voice in my head late at night, urging me to quit my business.
- The idea of relinquishing my business responsibilities was sometimes really appealing to me.
- I get a lot of emails from people asking me if they should quit their businesses.
- I don’t have a secret sauce, and I cannot give you permission to quit.
- Our lives and our circumstances are way too complex to simply use happiness as a measure of your success.
- Businesses are like relationships. They take time and they take effort.
- Why people sometimes think about quitting their businesses.
- It’s pretty upsetting and scary when the little voice in the night starts talking to you, and it’s hard not to listen to it.
- Acting like an irresponsible business owner and losing yourself for a while.
- How to find an answer to the question ‘Should I quit my business?’.
- Answering the question with three more questions.
- Question one: Am I feeling this way because of a temporary situation, or have I felt this way for a long time?
- Question two: Why am I doing this business in the first place?
- Close your eyes, look into your heart, and imagine what your life would look like without your business in it.
- Some ideas for how to move forward if you decide to stay in your business.
- Developing a vision is really important.
- Everybody needs business friends.
- Fixing temporary situations.
- Choosing to walk away is a really brave decision.
- Some tips for closing your business.
- Give yourself the mental time and the mental space to close your business down with dignity.
- You have to have a purpose for staying in your business.
Links and resources:
Michelle’s website: www.thebizofbaking.com You can search for the article there. It’s called ‘Should I quit my business?’