Positive and inspirational stories are great, right? But we all somehow seem to really love a crappy, ‘OMG everything went wrong’ kind of story more. I’ve noticed this because although everyone loved my show last season about the best business advice that I ever got, many of you have asked me to do a similar show, but this time about the worst business advice that I’ve ever been given. This is really hilarious! Anyway, you ask and I deliver, so listen in now, to get the worst business advice ever.
As a rule, the worst business advice that I ever got was from people who were not business owners themselves. Anyone who is a parent will totally appreciate this, because the minute that you get pregnant, everyone in the world starts giving you advice about every aspect of parenting. So when you say that you’re opening a business, you tend to attract a whole lot of people who want to give you a whole lot of really crappy advice. Remember, though, that people come to give you advice because they think that they’re doing the right thing, so I hope that none of you actually take this advice seriously and that you listen to this episode knowing that I mean it only as tongue in cheek and me being silly. So listen in as I roll out the terrible advice!
- The worst advice came from the people who had never actually done it themselves and their advice seems to be a reflection of their own problems and their own concerns.
- People love to tell stories about businesses that failed.
- It’s always best to only take advice from people who have actually walked the walk themselves.
- Some really devastating things that I was told by Joe, a boss that I used to have.
- Sometimes I don’t want to do something simply because somebody told me to do it, so some of the worst advice I ever got actually came from me!
- Getting pressured into mistakenly believing that I really needed to spend money on advertising and marketing.
- Why you shouldn’t just believe it when somebody tells you that your business will fail if you don’t do as they say.
- Learn to trust your gut when you’re given advice about your business.
- Bad advice that I’ve been given about having to make certain things.
- The kind of advice that I really didn’t appreciate getting.
- People who give bad advice really tend to want to shove it down your throat.
- Some crushing advice that I got from my Dad.
- Some poor advice from my dodgy accountant when I first started out with my business.
- Why you should avoid advice from people who lack vision.
- Why you should learn to listen to your inner voice, regardless of the advice that you’ve been given.
Learn from me:
- My enrollment is opening for my Build Your Profitable Cake Business towards the end of March this year. Go to www.thebizofbaking.com to get the details.
- I open up the enrollment to my live In Person classes at this time of year. I’ll be in Sydney and Melbourne in Australia this year and then in Los Angeles, Houston, Cincinnati, and Virginia in the USA and I’ll be in Toronto, Canada. Keep an eye on my blog and my social media sites for details.